Sunday, April 8, 2012

His Life, Our Life

But the angel said to the women,
“Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.
He is not here, for he has risen, as he said.
Come, see the place where he lay.
Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead,
and behold, he is going before you to Galilee;
there you will see him. See, I have told you.”
So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.
And behold, Jesus met them and said,“Greetings!”
And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.
-Matthew 28:5-10

Image Source
Before Christ, we were dead in our sins. We were slaves to the law, unable to abide by it perfectly, thereby incurring God's wrath and just punishment for our sins - death. It was a hopeless, desperate plight that we could not escape. No good works or amount of faith could remove the heavy burden of the law from crushing us. It's not that the law itself is evil; in fact, it was God's law to His people, and is therefore good to us. But our rebellious, sinful hearts are exposed under the law for what they are - unable to live up to God's standards of righteousness. As a result, we were destined to be eternally separated from God.

Image Source
But Christ! Christ! Our wonderful Savior! Jesus lived a perfect life that lived up to God's standards; He fulfilled the law, thus eliminating its crushing weight over us. We have been freed! Jesus' obedience even unto His death proved His innocence and righteousness. He incurred God's wrath and paid the eternal penalty in our place - He died on our behalf and then... THEN! three days later on Easter Sunday He rose from the grave! Death was killed when Jesus died and life was offered the moment He arose. Now, with death conquered, Satan is no longer in power and Jesus' resurrection is the last word! We who believe in Him receive His life - eternal life - and His righteous life is imputed to us. We no longer fear God's wrath nor anything else in this world because Christ has overcome the world! Whatever this world threatens us with, we have complete confidence and security that we will eternally be safe in Christ!

Fanny Crosby expressed this beautifully in one of her most well-known hymns:

All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread;
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

All the way my Savior leads me
O the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father’s house above.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP