Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Book Review: 90 Days of God's Goodness by Randy Alcorn

I've wanted to review books on my blog for a while now, and I've done so before but I want to do it more often. So, I'm starting now!

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

I have to admit that I wasn't expecting this book to pack such a big punch. In terms of size, it's thicker and meatier than I anticipated, which I think is a good thing given the subject matter (suffering). In terms of substance, it also exceeded my expectations. The style of the book is very readable as a daily devotional, but I found myself looking forward to reading more than one per day and having some great thoughts and Scriptures to meditate on throughout the day.

The layout is simple: each day includes a passage of Scripture, a message from Randy that usually includes a story of someone's personal experience with darkness, and a closing prayer. The way Alcorn unified these using sound doctrinal theology in a way that helps make sense of personal suffering, while also providing comfort, is beautiful. I also greatly appreciated the stories of how others experienced and dealt with suffering, as they helped me better understand my own process.

As someone who has and is enduring personal darkness, I found this book sufficient and satisfying on many levels. Alcorn has done a wonderful job at examining a biblical approach to pain in life without becoming redundant or shallow. As a therapist, this book will be on my recommended reading list for Christian clients suffering with darkness and wanting to shine God's light of hope and meaning on it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP