Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Merciful Pain

I've had a unique opportunity today to contemplate God's mercy. I woke up today in pain. It was my back. Anyone who's ever had back pain knows how debilitating a back pain is; simple, everyday duties like getting dressed or walking up stairs become a lesson in courage.

Well, I happened to be in the book of Numbers today (reading the Bible in a year) and had been thinking a lot lately about Israel's constant rituals serving as reminders of both their sinfulness and God's provision. It led me to considering my own sin and the punishment I deserve for my rebelliousness: death. However, because of God's great love, He took on that punishment Himself and freed me from that sentence. The only thing left for me to bear is this back pain; the new hope I gain is eternity in Paradise.

Tonight, after a long day of work and constant suffering, I am grateful for this pain. It's a reminder of my utter dependence on God and how much greater He is than my physical limitations. It's also a reminder of how much He blesses me and how easy it is for me to take simple things like health and physical ability for granted. I am humbled and able to say that God is indeed merciful and deserving of all my praise, especially with this pain.

5 comments:

Ryan Hofer said...

Hey Aaron, the Egoscue Method has helped relieve my back and hip discomfort. Check it out on the web, or you can ask me any questions you may have. I use their DVDs here in Japan, but there is also a clinic in Portland. It's been more effective than a chiropractor or pain relievers. It makes a lot of sense too. Pete Egoscue has a book on Amazon too. With a little effort, I'm confident you can live pain free!

-ryan

Jennifer said...

Aaron, I keep having other dreams that are along the same type... care to share your view on the most recent ??

ellentopness said...

Ok, I am trying to post again. We'll see if it works. If not, I will believe that Aaron is being protected from my comments :-). I love your post, it ministered to me as I have had health problems, crazy really, for a couple of years now. I get a bit defeated and depressed. BUT, "the only thing I have to bear is my health problems" really helps me. What a great line in your post.

Aaron said...

Thanks, Ryan. I also talked with a friend who's a PT and he recommended heat packs and stretching. I'm going to try that first; hot baths have worked really well so far, so I can foresee heat packs helping.

Yay, Ellen! It worked! Thanks for your persistence; I always appreciate feedback. I'm grateful that God has revealed His glory to you through this post (as He did to me also). :-)

Jennifer said...

I tried to send you a message, but it isnt working for me .. blah

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP