Monday, February 8, 2010

Imago Dei

The sermon at my church yesterday was on the doctrine of man; specifically, that mankind is (1) uniquely like God and (2) represents Him. The main points were:
  • Nothing else in creation is made "in God's image"
  • We are like God morally, rationally, spiritually, and relationally
  • God has made us and we represent, or reflect, Him
Obviously this is not new information, and is not something I haven't read before. But I found myself sitting in the pew today experiencing a power like never before. As our Pastor was talking about the implications of this doctrine - namely that you matter (Zephaniah 3:17) and they matter (Galatians 3:28) - I began to swell up with emotion. "There's something significant and... right about these truths. They touch me deep in my soul. And heal me," I thought to myself.

Isn't there something right about these truths? Don't we all want to matter? Don't we all want to be important to at least someone? What if we were all important to God, the One who created everything and to whom everything belongs? What if Zephaniah 3:17 was true, that God looks at you and takes great delight in you, not because you're more skilled or talented than someone else, but because you're human? Wouldn't that be just enough to satisfy the deepest spiritual sorrows? It would mean that no matter who you are, where you're from, what you've done, or what your potential is, you have just as much value as the next person simply because you were created imago dei - in God's image. It would mean that you are just as deserving of God's infinite love and forgiveness. It would even mean that Jesus chose to die on the cross with your name in mind.

I don't know about you, but when I think about this it transforms me. All of the mistreatment, shame, brokenness, hurt, deficits, and blemishes in myself and my life can be reconciled in this one simple truth. Imago dei.

(I have feeling this is Part One of a two- or multi-part series...)

2 comments:

Matt Guerino said...

I look forward to part 2ff... :) Your experience listening encourages me because for my part I was EXHAUSTED with the emotion of it. Pretty cool stuff, and very REAL, for lack of a better word.

Aaron said...

I could tell, but that emotion was what really encouraged my wife and I. We were talking about it last night and both agreed that God's heart through you really came out in that sermon, because we were both so moved by it. We're so thankful to God for giving us such a great teaching pastor, and even more grateful for giving us such incredible meaning and purpose in life as you reminded us yesterday!

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP