Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Boasting in Weakness

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2 Corinthians 12:7-10

I heard this passage read on K-Love the other day and it struck me. I've read it before (even recently, within the past few weeks) but for some reason this time it hit my heart. When I heard it, I immediately identified with it and knew it was one of those verses that was meant for me - that my life needed to be reminded of repeatedly.

I think it stood out to me because I've been contemplating 2010 quite a bit lately; specifically, what direction God is leading me this year. A couple of things have come to the forefront of that contemplation: (1) servanthood, (2) continued growth in humility, and now (3) boasting in weakness.

After my 60 Days of Humility journey, I'm excited and ready to offer myself again to God in a focused way. It gives me a chance to allow God to work in me in whatever ways He chooses, and shows me His love and faithfulness in the process. The end result is a deeper faith and a follower (me) living more like Jesus.

But what about this "boasting in weakness?" How in the world is someone to learn to rest only in the grace of God - to be content in, or yet even to boast about, weakness so that Christ can be strong in me? I haven't any answers yet, but my prayer is that God will speak to me in His Word, in prayer, and through all of you faithful brothers and sisters!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

hey, I alway enjoy reading what you have to say in your post... I am not sure why my updates arent showing up in your dashboard. I follow your blog post also... but I never seem to get your updates

Aaron said...

LOL, for some reason it's going both ways! :-D That's okay - I'll just keep checking manually. It's totally worth it. Thanks for following, Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

well, I have been a little discouraged... trying to get back into writing... pray for me, thanks Aaron

Aaron said...

I'm praying for you, sister. It seems that God may be allowing your thorn so you depend on Him fully and completely. I pray if this is the case, that you come to know the fullness of His love and grace through this weakness.

Jennifer said...

thank you for the prayers,

Jennifer said...

New post, I figured if you weren't getting my updates I'd let you know...

Jennifer said...

your one post here is going to be full of all my comments, lol... thank you for your comment on my post, but somehow I feel like I finished it too soon.. like God really wants me to say so much more... i think I am going to revisit it and add to it

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP