Sunday, November 29, 2009

Humility Week 5: Ask, Seek, Knock

What happens when you ask God? When you seek Him? Or when you knock at His door? It will be given to you; you will find; it will be opened (Matthew 7:7). This is a basic summary of week five of my humility journey.

What I found this week was so incredible, powerful, life-changing, profound, and yet so simple: the Gospel. But it was in context - the context of my life. God showed me how even in my earnestness I had my faith about works. To put it more bluntly, the Gospel became about me rather than about Him.

The truth, however, never fails to set me free (John 8:32). God brought my whole life into alignment over His Truth this week: there is nothing I can do apart from Him that is good. For if there was, I would be a "good man," capable of earning my own righteousness. Yet this is a basic lie we (including myself) are so often and so easily deceived by. The truth is that only God is righteous. Therefore, all I can bring to the equation is sin and surrender. I can stop trying and start inviting. Stop working and start asking. Stop doing and start listening. The shame, burden, and responsibility of the "Christian life" is shed of me and given to Christ, whose yolk is easy and whose burden is light (Matthew 11:30).

O what  peace my soul has never known! O what glory I have for God, which He has so patiently waited to receive but which He so eternally has been deserving!

Humility has brought me to this realization, which is simply the Gospel. Or as C.S. Lewis put it, "mere christianity." Every thought, every moment, every deed - all belong to God, and so - must be humbly surrendered to Him so that I become nothing and He is all. Despite myself, because of the righteousness of Jesus, God can do His redeeming work through the Power of the Spirit in me. All I can do is ask, seek, knock.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP