Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life is about God

Okay, so it's not really. At least that's what we've made of God's original creation. He created life, gave it to us, and then we made life about ourselves. Welcome to sin.

But that's not the way it was supposed to be. God is the Creator and Source of life, so when He creates and gives life, the created entity is meant to reflect Him and make a statement about Him, not about the created entity itself.

The same thing can be said about truth. I was having a discussion with a friend last week about truth because she was explaining how people have different perspectives and that for each person, that perspective is their truth. I was questioning this because it made the statement of truth about me, rather than reflecting something outside of me - God Himself ("I am the way, the truth, and the life," John 14:6).

If you're not picking up where this is going, think about this question for your own life: Are you redirecting yourself and your life back to God, who gave you life, so that others come to know God in and through you? It's a challenging question, and one that demands an honest answer. If we're being truthful, the answer is probably no (at least not most of the time). As followers of Jesus, we should abandon the things that defined us and be transformed by who Jesus is so that we come to be defined by Him.

Stay tuned for more ideas on some practical ways to do this...

2 comments:

ellentopness said...

Good question. And the answer in my instance is no, but I am willing. The truth from my perspective can always sound good, but is usually not good nor true. It is usually a way to define, advocate for, and promote Ellen. I truly am not sure how to change that, it is so ingrained. But I am positive the first step is to ask God, to be quiet, and to be honest (truly truthfully honest, not honesty to hide the lie)

Aaron said...

I'm with you, Ellen. I'm realizing, too, that my 60 Days journey will likely turn into a lifelong adventure.

What I'm finding in my preliminary steps to the 60 Days is that changing self-promotion starts with self-sacrifice: admitting to myself and to God who I really am. It's realizing that I am a wretched man who can do nothing but sin, though I desire for God deep down. In that way, I discover that there is nothing worth promoting in myself - only something worth redeeming, not because of me, but because of who God is. It's at this point that I begin to become defined by God rather than myself, and have life rather than death.

At least that's the idea Paul talks about in Romans 7-8. Easier said than done, Dear Patron Saint Paul! :-D

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP