Friday, July 31, 2009

Why Is God In Control?

Because He is God and we're not.

That's the simple answer. I'm writing this post in response to my beloved friend Ellen's latest blog entry, Grace Like Rain. It made me think of this truth about human satisfaction and eternal perspective - one that Pastor Matt stresses over and over again (okay, so he's just the messenger; it's really God's message).

Why is it that we are never satisfied with our current life situations? Why is it that God, the Creator of the Universe, and His Son Jesus Christ, who came into the world to die for our sins, are not enough to sustain us? Or rather, why do we not allow ourselves to be sustained by God alone?

I'll admit that I'm guilty of this, too. Maybe not with the weather (I'm from Seattle, so I learned acceptance a loooong time ago!), but with plenty of other things. Money can be a big one for me - and things like technology. I love gadgets - it's even in the "About Me" section of this blog! There's nothing wrong with these things, except when they replace our heart's desire for God.

That's the difference between humans and God. He has an eternal perspective and we don't. This is also why God reminds us repeatedly to die to ourselves so that Christ can live in us - so we can hold onto that eternal perspective. Why? Because when we do that, we realize that our short-term solutions are nothing but band-aids for the symptom of a greater problem. It's easier to blame something or someone else than to look at ourselves, confess that we're the problem (our human condition of sin), and turn back to God.

But this is something I'm working on changing, and it starts with awareness. Thank you, Ellen, for reminding me of this. It's time to turn my mind and my heart back to God.

2 comments:

ellentopness said...

I agree with what you write, and since I like to argue, that's a novelty:-). I think partly the discontent has to do with wanting comfort at all costs. In reality, as we live and grow in Christ, we find the true comfort. But, in our flesh, we somehow think we can make this world "our oyster" and create the optimal conditions to never be uncomfortable. I have to run to the gym now and get really uncomfortable so more later. Great post, Aaron

Aaron said...

Yes - that "comfort at all costs" objective is a result of our rebellion towards God because we think we can be God. I just love that irony, though, how to truly find comfort and peace we have to sacrifice ourselves and let Christ live in us.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion, and I'll look forward to more thoughts later! Oh, and maybe I'll see you at the DC picnic in a few hours, too!

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

"Trutheran" Christian Living ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Seo Blog. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP